A car rented by Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam that may have been used in the preparation of the carnage is found in a northern district of Paris, police sources say.
Video provided by AFP
Authorities are searching for a second terrorist who they now believe survived the bloody attack that left scores dead in Paris last week.
Police sources told Agence France-Presse and the Associated Press that video confirmed the existence of a ninth Paris attacker. Seven terrorists died in the attack and another is thought to have escaped into Belgium.
A car linked to one of the possible Paris attackers still at large was found Tuesday as the international manhunt intensified for the Belgian-born suspect.
A black Clio rented in Belgium to fugitive suspect Salah Abdeslam, who t believed to have survived Friday’s carnage, was found near a Paris commuter line, its windshield smashed, the French newspaper Liberation reported.
One of Abdeslam’s brothers, Brahim, died during the attacks after detonating a suicide vest at a crowded outdoor cafe near the Bataclan concert hall. Most of the 129 deaths took place in the concert hall.
Another brother, Mohamed, told CNN that, if his brother really was involved, he should surrender to police. Mohamed Abdeslam, who said he lived with his brother in Brussels, said his brother behaved normally in the days leading up to the assault. He also said that, if his brother did participate, he should turn himself into police.
Lawyers for two men being held in Belgium told the Associated Press their clients admit bringing Abdelsam to Brussels from Paris early Saturday — hours after the assaults — but deny any prior knowledge of or involvement in the attacks. Mohammed Amri, 27, and Hamza Attou, 21, are being investigated for possibly providing suicide bombs for the attackers, according to Belgian media reports.
French police said more than a dozen people have been arrested there since the attacks. German authorities arrested seven people in towns near the Belgian border but determined they were not involved in the attack and released them, the German news agency DPA reported.
A few dozen people have so far been detained by police in Belgium, France and Germany in connection with the attacks. Authorities believe Abdelhamid Abaaoud, 27, from Belgium may be the mastermind. His whereabouts also are unknown, and authorities have said he may be in Syria.
Belgium’s government said it will deploy up to 300 extra soldiers to join the manhunt for Abdeslam and help provide security in its cities, bringing the number to 520.
French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said 115,000 police officers and military personnel were mobilized across France. He told French TV that nearly 130 raids and searches across France took place from Monday night to Tuesday morning. He said “the majority of those who were involved in this attack were unknown to our services.”
French Prime Minister Manuel Valls told France Inter radio that some victims have yet to be identified. The death toll remained at 129 Tuesday — the count had briefly been raised to 132 but officials said three deaths had been counted twice.
Valls said details remain vague about the attacks outside the national stadium. He also told French TV his country’s intelligence services have identified at least 10,000 radicalized people in France.
“We will have to live with this threat for a long time. We are faced with determined terrorists willing to die. We must all be aware we can be attacked again,” he said.
Read or Share this story: http://usat.ly/1j6IzLp