Questions remain over Prince’s death
While officials said there were no signs of trauma on Prince’s body when he was found unresponsive at his home, questions remain over the circumstances surrounding his death.
April 25, 2016
As fans and media wait for results of an autopsy conducted on the body of superstar Prince, who was cremated on Saturday, speculation is mounting that overwork and lack of sleep may have contributed to his death.
Prince’s brother-in-law Maurice Phillips, who is married to Prince’s sister Tyka Nelson, told fans gathered at the singer’s Paisley Park home that Prince was awake for six days before he died: “He worked 154 hours straight. I was with him just last weekend,” reported the Press Association.
Prince’s autopsy results are much anticipated after growing speculation over the cause of his death. Photo: Supplied
Prince’s former manager Kerry Gordon, who managed the star’s label, admitted to TV show Good Morning Britain that Prince had a tolerance for sleep deprivation but that lack of sleep could have been “a contributing factor”.
“Prince wasn’t normal like the regular person, he could function on a lot less sleep than most people,” Gordon said. “And we would go, you know, three days sometimes without him getting any sleep. But I do think six days without sleep is unusual and that could be a contributing factor.”
The autopsy was conducted on April 22 by the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office, which released a statement saying: “Gathering the results will take several days and the results of a full toxicology scan could likely take weeks.”
Despite claims that Prince was clean living, there have also been several reports of his heavy use of prescription drugs following injuries incurred during performances.
The last time Prince was seen in public was visiting the Electric Fetus record store in Minneapolis five days before his death, according to the Press Association. That was only hours after his personal jet was forced to make an emergency landing, which at the time was reported to be because of his flu-like symptoms.
But it is now thought his emergency was due to a drug overdose from the prescription painkiller Percocet, which contains Oxycodone.