Home / Top Story / The Latest: US officials: Russia attacks IS stronghold

The Latest: US officials: Russia attacks IS stronghold


The Associated Press

Russian President Vladimir Putin heads a meeting on Russian plane crash in Egypt in Moscow’s Kremlin, Russia, early Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2015. The head of Russia’s FSB security service says the crash of the passenger plane in Egypt was the result of a ‘terrorist’ act. Alexander Bortnikov told Putin on Tuesday that a homemade explosive device blew up on the plane. All 224 people on board the plane, most of them Russian tourists, were killed in the Oct. 31 crash. (Alexei Nikolsky/SPUTNIK, Kremlin Pool Photo via AP)

Associated Press

+ More

MOSCOW (AP) — The latest on news from Russian officials that a passenger jet was brought down over Egypt by an explosive device. (All times local.)

3:45 p.m.

Two U.S. defense officials say Russia has attacked Raqqa, the Islamic State group’s self-declared capital in Syria, with cruise missiles and bombs on Tuesday.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss non-U.S. military operations. They provided no details on targets or the scale or outcome of the attacks.

One of the officials said the Russians gave the U.S. prior notification of the attacks by communicating with the U.S.-led coalition’s air operations center at al-Udeid air base in Qatar. The official said this was in accordance with protocols worked out by U.S. and Russian officials in October.

On Tuesday, Russia’s security service said a homemade explosive device brought down a passenger plane over Egypt last month that killed 224 people, calling it a “terrorist” act. The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for downing the airliner.

–By Robert Burns in Washington.

___

1:55 p.m.

Russia’s FSB security service has offered a $50 million reward for information leading to the arrest of those responsible for downing a passenger plane over Egypt.

FSB director Alexander Bortnikov announced Tuesday that a homemade explosive device had blown apart the aircraft and that it was now clear that it was a “terrorist” act.

The FSB later appealed to “Russian and international communities for cooperation in identifying the terrorists” and offered “50 million U.S. dollars” reward.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*