NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Friday, October 30, 2015, 3:14 PM
The hand of Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul is seen as he talked to reporters for the first time on Friday since he mangled his hand on the 4th of July.
A defiant Jason Pierre-Paul was unapologetic for his decisions with fireworks and declared himself a better player in his first interview since blowing up his hand.
The Giants defensive star also said that he didn’t freeze out the Giants while in the hospital, and he was unaware of anything while under medication during those nervous days.
“You can’t do nothing when you’re on anesthesia, waking up, going in and out of conscious,” he said. “I had no reason not to let them in. I just didn’t know.
“I don’t know who was making my decisions. It could’ve been the doctors.”
Pierre-Paul, who won’t travel with the Giants to New Orleans because, “I don’t want to be a distraction to my teammates,” was rubbing his missing fingers and scars throughout the 12-minute interview.
He said that the fireworks were part of an annual tradition “for kids that I’ve done for six, seven years now. He otherwise shrugged off the accident.
Jason Pierre-Paul says he is taking his recovery a day at a time as he preps for return to Giants.
“Things happen,” he said. “Mistakes happen. I wasn’t shocked at all. My fiancé was going crazy. But I stayed calm.
“I wasn’t embarrassed at all,” he added. “At the end of the day, media is going to say what they’re going to say. People are going to have their opinions. But I didn’t care about none of that. Because one way or another, I was going to return to football.”
While he was in the hospital because of the July 4 accident, Pierre-Paul said he saw a 12-year-old kid die and another whose entire finger was severed.
“I’m just very fortunate I’m alive,” he said. “I got wounds and I look up everyday at my hand and say, “Thank you, Lord. But I’ve seen worse. There was probably 12 people in that hospital and mine was the best so I’m just fortunate.”
Jason Pierre-Paul signed a one-year deal on Tuesday and started practicing the next day.
Pierre-Paul indicated there’s more to the story of the accident and “it will get out there,” but he didn’t want to go over it Friday – two days after he signed a one-year deal to return to the Giants.
“I’m the same JPP that I was last year. There’s not going to be a major adjustment. As far as my hand goes, I’ll get used to it. I’m just fortunate to play football again.
“I don’t have a desire to prove anybody wrong. The day I walked in here I already won. People said I was going to be out for the whole season. And I knew what kind of effort I put in the offseason way before this happened. Just coming back, I already won.”
Pierre-Paul, who acknowledged he’ll be wearing a special glove on his hand, scoffed at a question about whether he’d continue the fireworks tradition with the kids.
“Of course it is (my last time). You live and learn. People make mistakes. We’re all human. We’re all people.”